Monday, September 14, 2009

Happy New School Year 09-10

YES WE CAN

Dear New 4th Grade Families;

As your children’s new teacher I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and share with you some of the things that you can look forward to seeing from 4th grade this year. With that said, WELCOME! I am venturing into my 7th year of teaching. This will be my 2nd year at St. Al’s, and one that I am very excited about for a multitude of reasons.

Our motto for this year is going to be, YES WE CAN. Fourth grade will be known as Angelville. Angelville is a community environment where all contribute to the good of the classroom community, sharing in different roles that will be chosen by each student. Community roles will change throughout the year, giving each student the opportunity to try on a new hat, if you will.

I will continue to use the Angelville blogspot that I set up last year. The website was an easy way to share homework assignments and newsletters with the parents. It also saves on paper and waste. I will also highlight student work, post pictures and class trips that we will take throughout the year on this site.

The 4th grade will play a major role in our sustainable schools program this year, becoming role models for the other students as to what we will recycle, compost, and throw away. I am also hoping to start a 4th grade newspaper that will be created by your lovely children. We will post our newspaper on the website as well. If you would like to view some of the things that were posted last year you can go to www.angelville4.blogspot.com.

In Angelville your children will learn about banking, saving, spending, and recording all money coming in and out of their (pretend) accounts. At the end of a 2 week period the students can use the money they have earned to bid on things in our auction, (I can always use things to auction off, and all or any donations would be greatly appreciated). I am working on this program through a Financial Literacy project called Internal Training Services, LLC.

Each Monday a newsletter will be posted on the website. It will be called the Bon Dia. Bon Dia means ‘good-day.’ The Bon Dia will highlight what we have done in school, what you can look forward to in both curricular, as well as weekly reminders, updates, and important events. If you would like a hard copy of the Bon Dia, please let me know during the Open House night.

Homework packets will go home each Monday and returned each Friday morning. Your child will be given a daily planner. Everything your child does in any given day will be recorded in their planner. Occasionally it may take some students longer to get started on a task and he/she may fall behind in their work in the classroom. This work will come home that day to be completed.

If they return the next day without their work completed they will stay in for break to complete their work. At the end of each school day I will check and sign your child’s planner. You need to check and sing your child’s planner each night. Make sure the work is completed, check to see what your child did that day, and sign. The planner helps students develop study skills by staying organized and responsible for their work. This is also a great way for you and me to communicate. I will also use the planner to communicate with you.

I ask that your child bring the first week of school the book, Lewis and Clark, by George Sullivan. It is a scholastic book about 122 pages long and under $5. I would check your local library first. We will be reading this book as a class since in fourth grade we study Washington State history in Social studies. I also ask that you send with your child the first day of school, September 8th, a picture of your child, along with a picture of their hero, someone your child has looked up to over the years. I do not mean a celebrity, more or less a family member, a close friend, or someone who has made a difference in their life. You will not get these pictures back.

Attached is a survey I ask that you fill out and send with your child at the beginning of the year. This gives me insight into your child and how he/she learns best. I am committed to honoring the uniqueness of each of my students. Research shows that students benefit best when their families are mutually committed and supportive to their education.

I look forward to meeting all of you.

Enjoy the last few days of summer,



Miz Stephanie Schmutz

No comments: